Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) was started in the year 1994. The department offers 4 years Under Graduate (UG) program in B.E. ECE and 2 years Post Graduate (PG) program in M.E. VLSI Design. The current student intake for UG programme is 180 and PG programme is 18. The UG programme is thrice accredited by NBA from 2006. Currently, the accreditation process is under renewal. The department is a recognized by Anna University, Chennai for doing research and is effectively functioning with full-time and part-time research scholars.
The curriculum and syllabi for the programmes offered in the department are currently designed as per the Regulation 2018 of autonomous system. The curriculum is designed to achieve a balance between depth of knowledge acquired through specialization and breadth of knowledge gained through exploration. The undergraduate degree courses offered by the department provide a comprehensive foundation in the core topics of ECE coupled with areas of specialization relevant to emerging engineering challenges. The curriculum design supports to create professional electronics and communication engineers, who can serve in the fields of core electronics engineering, information and communication systems, and related fields.
Highlights of the department
- Faculty have published more than 450 Research Publications which are cited in web of science, Scopus and Google scholar
- Development of Computational Tool for Early Detection of Cardiovascular Diseases Through Analysis of Data from Otherwise Healthy Individuals, Automated Karyo typing Process for Detecting Numerical Aberrations in G-band Chromosome Images, and an Image processing System for Early Detection of Cardiovascular Diseases are the ongoing projects supported by the funding agencies like UGC, DBT AICTE etc...
- 180 PCs are available in Embedded, VLSI and DSP Labs and they are loaded with advanced simulation and design softwares needed for system design
- One credit courses are being offered by Industry resource persons in the current topics like IOT, Storage Area Networks, System Approach to Solutions Engineering, Big data Analytics, Machine to Machine Communication, Embedded application using WoT and PLC programming
- As a part of choice-based credit system (CSBS), students are encouraged to take courses from NPTEL / SWAYAM, industry internship and the credits earned are considered for the total credits needed to complete the program
- Training for placement is offered in the department along with mock interviews by Alumni who are well placed
- Students are mentored by faculty to participate in National level Project Contests regularly. Students do participate and win prizes.
- Students get placed in core companies like Jasmine Infotech apart from IT industries