The department was started, while establishing the institution in the year 1994 with UG degree programme (B.E.) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The initial intake was 60 students and the present intake is 120. The UG programme was accredited by NBA in the year 2005-06 for three years and reaccredited in the year 2008-09 for 3 years. The B.E.(EEE) programme was accredited by NBA under TIER I category in the year 2014-15 for 3 years. So far, twenty batches of students have passed out successfully.
The department offers PG degree programme (M.E.) in Power System Engineering from the academic year 2010-2011. So far, 6 batches of students have passed out in Power system Engineering with 100% results. The department is a recognized research centre from the year 2000 for Ph.D. degree programme. At present, 6 recognized Ph.D. supervisors are in the department to guide the students for their Ph.D. programme, 25 candidates have completed their Ph.D degree and 30 candidates are currently pursuing the Ph.D. degree.
The curriculum and syllabus for the programmes offered in the department are designed as per the Regulation 2014 of autonomous system. The curriculum is designed to achieve a balance between depth of knowledge acquired through specialization and breadth of knowledge gained through exploration. The undergraduate degree courses offered by the department provide a comprehensive foundation in the core topics of EEE coupled with areas of specialization relevant to emerging engineering challenges. The curriculum has been designed to create professional electrical and electronic engineers, who can serve in the fields of core electrical engineering, information and communication systems, and other related fields.
To train competent engineers and professionals to meet the needs of
• Power systems, Drives and Transportation sectors
• Power Electronic drives and application
Highlights of the department
• Usage of ICT tools for teaching- learning process
• On line courses through NPTEL, QEEE, NMEICT and SWAYAM
• one credit courses
• Industry-Institute Interaction for projects, internships, placement and training and consultancy services
• Student Adaptation System for counseling
• Updated curriculum and syllabus to cater to the needs of industries on par with emerging technology
• The curriculum and syllabi of 2014 regulation are structured with skill development components like design, focusing on emerging areas and scope for self-learning
• The students are felicitated to carry out industrial project/Internship in 8th Semester by advancing the courses in 8th semester to summer and winter vacations of 6th and 7th semesters through ‘swapping of courses’
• Special coaching classes for slow learners
• Two R&D works have been completed by the faculty members with a fund of Rs. 2.74 Lakhs from AICTE under CAYT scheme. Energy audit works are undertaken with available specialized equipment: Power Quality Analyzers, Thermal Analyzers, etc
• More than 250 research publications in national and international journals which includes publications in IEEE transactions, IET power electronics, Elsevier, etc
• The Scopus H-index, google H-index, i10-index of the department are 08, 13 and 15 respectively